Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Happy Halloween!

I recorded the underlying "spook alley" music onto my BOSS loop pedal a few years ago.  Don't ask me to explain what's going on with it.  Just a lot of dissonances stacked on top of each other.  I used my Eric Johnson Stratocaster and a Vox amp with vibrato and reverb set about half way.

The piece is hypnotic and repetitive, but I justify the length of the recording because various voices from the dead tell some tales along the way.  I played these over the top of the BOSS recording today:

1) A slide applied to the strings of my strat close to the bridge provides a spine-tingling chime.
2) A 1/4 size classical guitar with only two very detuned strings on it provides the woes of a damned soul.
3) Pick scrapes near the bridge of my strat provide a laughing ghost.
4) The whammy bar randomly attacked on open strings provides another tale from a miserable shade.

It's all kind of corny, but there are some really striking moments in it all, and it is pretty dreary music if you keep listening to it.  You get mesmerized by the plaintive howling...


No comments:

Post a Comment